Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 160 - Two outa three ain't bad

Tonights work was mostly on the forward windows.

First off though, I pulled all the screws and washers put in yesterday to hold the ribs in place. On the back edge I thought I might have to add some strips running fore and aft between the last rib at the back and the next to last rib for more support. But I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to support most of my weight on that last rib before it would start to deflect. The addition of the top piece of plywood on the roof will stiffen that even more.

I cut four 6"x6" squares of 1/4" plywood to go in the roof where I will be putting a vent for a heater. The hole for the vent is only 3" in diameter, so I've slightly overengineered for any boo-boos. :-)


Then it was on to the forward window frames. I've been thinking about their placement for a while and the angles I wanted, so it was really just a matter of carefully measuring, scribing and assembling the patterns, then cutting them out. Turns out that because the frames are more than 24" in both directions I'm going to have to buy another sheet of 1/2" marine plywood to be able to get my third frame cut out. Darn.




Lookin' good!

So tomorrow I'll get that needed sheet of plywood to cut out the third frame, then I'll figure out how I want the windows cut out and do so. I might get so far as to installing and epoxying them as well. Once that's done then I can measure for and cut the forward roof line and fit and install the forward rib pieces.

3.5 Hours