Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 162 - Filling in the gaps

A big day today of little things again.

Got to the shed late after sleeping in. :-)

Started off by cutting out the windows of the three window panels and the door.


As soon as I finished I headed off to the glass shop to talk about, what else, glass! They've got 7/32" (or nearly 1/4") laminated safety glass that will work a treat. I'm going to inset the windows in the door and frames, so they didn't want them until I rabbeted the edges so I headed off to Home Depot.

I've decided I'm going to paint the boat with Rustoleum Enamel, an oil based paint, but the color selection is limited; white, black, gray, almond, red, yellow, blue and hunter green. Now none of those colors work for me, so I bought a quart of each to bring home and practice mixing. I also picked up a 3/8" rabbeting bit for my router.

Made a stop by the Post Office in hopes that my window molding would be here and sure enough it was. They did a slick job of packing it. They stacked the molding together, put a 1/2 on either side and stretch wrapped it. Nifty solution!


Back to the shed and I cut one inch strips out of some of the left over 1/2" plywood and then climbed up on the boat to cut them to length. They're going 19" away from the side, fore and aft, and are being placed to support the grab rail that will be on the top of the roof.

Then it was epoxy time. First I painted the areas of the roof were the strips would go, then I used a syringe to fill all the holes, then I painted all the strips like the other night and then I screwed them in place.

Gave the epoxy about an hour to start to set up and then I painted the plywood. I could have coated the roof with epoxy, but I decided to use the paint instead.



Tomorrow I'll pull the screws and washers, sand down the high spots from the epoxy, cut the insulation to fit and install the second layer of plywood for the roof top. I need to work on building the handholds and the vertical panels that will attach to the outside edge of the roof to provide a gutter of sorts and visually thicken the roof line.

I spent time tonight mixing paint combinations and while I came up with some interesting (and weird!) colors, I think I've actually found the color I want. It's a deep red wine. I still need to choose an accent color, but I'm thinking something like a sand would work. We'll see.

9 Hours