Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day 164 - Movin' on back

Got a late start today, but I'm pleased with the progress made.

I decided the first thing to do today was clean up around the shed. The sawdust on the floor has been building up and was finally getting to the point of being annoying. So I started in one corner and swept my way around, generally cleaning up and organizing while moving things out of the way. By the time I finished I had probably fifteen gallons of sawdust! I took the bag of sawdust plus various scraps of stuff down to the firepit and had a small bonfire. Kinda windy so I didn't wait long. :-)

Back up to the shed I decided it was time to finish up the shelves running to the back. I had stopped part way back as I thought I'd be widening them more than the six plus inches I have already on the sides, but after working around them for the past few months I've decided to leave them that width. Now from the bow back to about the rear cabin wall I've to two layers of 1-1/8" plywood. That much all the way to the back was going to be a bit much, so I took the 1-1/8" back to where the angle on the sides meets the shelves and the continued the rest of the way with 3/4" ply.

I discovered in the process that I can be a real artiste' with the table saw too. You'd think with all the supposedly straight lines that I should be able to just rip things to width and length with the appropriate angles, but no so much. I'd get things close, then set the piece on the existing shelf piece, trace the piece out and then free hand cut it on the table saw. I'm pretty good at it!

So after cutting and gluing in a 1/2" strip of 1-1/8" plywood to widen the port shelf to match the width of the starboard shelf (how did that happen? :-), I cut pieces to go down the sides and then wrap around the stern. With the stern pieces I cut their width such that a vertically mounted piece of 1/2" plywood will split the difference between the holes in the deck for the conduit and the deck access plates. Amazingly enough, I can run a straightedge from side-to-side and it lines up exactly with the cuts on those stern pieces!



Tomorrow I'll get the edges of the side panels cleaned up so they'll take peanut butter then I'll epoxy the shelves in place and get peanut butter in that gap between the shelves and the sides. I'll pull all the screws in the roof too.

7 Hours