Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 169 - Hold on!

More progress on the roof today, but first was running errands.

I went to Home Depot for paint and painting materials.

I went to Valley Lumber for foam rollers.

And I went to Don Abels to get a 2x6x12' piece of clear Douglas Fir. I was going to make my handrails on the roof with 1-1/8" plywood, but rethought that this morning and decided to use the Doug Fir.

Hauled it all down to the shed and got started by mixing my paint. I'm using Rustoleum oil based enamel and their color selection is limited to primary colors mostly, so after my experimenting a few days ago I've decided that the color for the hull that I wanted was best made by using two parts red with one part blue. Four quarts of red and two quarts of blue plus a third of a quart of mineral spirits in a two gallon plastic bucket got thoroughly mixed and set aside. It will get mixed again before I use it as little pockets of primary color kept popping up.

Next was a fill coat of epoxy on the roof. I tried it with the foam roller, and while it worked, it's a little too thick and I suspect it will sag. Hopefully I'll be able to sand it out.

Then the big project of the day, the handrails. I measured the 2x6 for length and handhold spacing and cut it to length. Then I measured and marked for the 1-1/2" holes on either side of the 2x6. Four recharged batteries later I had all the holes drilled. Connected the holes with the sabersaw. Used the router to even out the holes and then round off all the edges. Cut the 2x6 in half lengthwise, then cut the edge of the pieces that would meet the roof at a five degree angle. Drilled holes through each foot, then drilled countersunk (sink?) holes from the top down. Epoxied the bottom of the feet and the inside of the handles. Double checked my distances on the roof and then carried each handrail up and screwed it to the roof. No peanut butter needed as the epoxy on the feet and the epoxy fill coat on the roof provided just enough for a little squeeze out.


I used the left over epoxy to make some peanut butter to fill the holes in the handrails and to fill various other things around the boat.

Tomorrow we'll see how well the epoxy has set up. I need to have it fairly hard so I can lean on it to install the rub strips. I also need to get a strip on the back edge to channel the water off to the sides. Don't want it dripping down my neck!

8 Hours