Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 156 - Back to painting

Little work, lots to show for it. :-)

In reality, a lot of work got done in a hurry, then it was hurry up and wait time.

Slept in this morning and didn't get to the shed until about 10:30am. Continued on with the fiberglass work by cutting out more strips of fiberglass as I was all set up for it. Two more strips for the side-shelf-hull joints and four strips to go along the sides. All were carefully folded up and set aside.

I decided to start work on the roof next. Two reasons, I'm tired of looking at the plywood just leaning against the wall and I want to get the plywood and the insulation off the floor so I can have the floor space back!

I carefully measured the width of the roof, added two inches on each side for the overhang and cut all six panels to width at the same time. Then I set up the scarfing jig and cut the scarfs.

Next I measured where the two sides and there support beams would line up, marked lines on the plywood and then started with the painting. It's much easier to get the first coat of paint on the plywood working this way instead of trying to do it when it becomes the roof! I'll still have to paint upside down, but this is a start.



Yep, for the sharp-eyed among you, you'll notice a stack of plywood in the bottom picture. I was able to put spacers in the unpainted area and stack and paint. Pretty cool eh'?

Last I went and put a straightedge on the center roof support beam (the one with the handles) and there's a lot of sag, and certainly not enough stiffness to handle the pressure from the bent plywood so I clamped a 2x4 to it.


Turns out even that's not enough to straighten it, so I'll have to temp in a post. Those clamps have black tape on them to soften the sharp edges in case I hit one with my head. It'll be a little cramped in there while I'm working on the first layer of plywood, but I'll make it work (I hope!).

Anyways, couldn't do anything else for the night, so it ended up being a short day.

5 Hours