Friday, March 16, 2012

Day 161 - Little bits

Kind of a broken up night as I had three visitors. Much less productive when that happens! :-)

Anyways, I picked up another sheet of 1/2" marine plywood for the third forward window frame and a sheet of 3/4" plywood for the rear door.

People have come up with lots of ideas for building a rear door, everything from making a panel door to using canvas. I'm going simple, cut the door out of cabinet grade plywood, cut out for the windows and fiberglass both sides. We'll see how it works out in the long run.

First up was cutting out the final window frame panel.

Then I measured for the rear door and laid it out on the plywood. I spent some time pondering how to lay out the windows (the door will have two for maximum visibility) and it finally occurred to me that the Golden Ratio (a mathematical ratio of two measurements such that one is 1.61x the other, probably first used by the Greeks, and known to be pleasing to the eye) applies here, so that's the ratio of the top window to the bottom window.

Back up on the boat I went with the last panel and put it in place with the other two. I measured and drew lines on the roof so that I'll have a four inch overhang in the front. More of those one inch strips were cut, fitted and screwed to fit to the lines.



The window panels were taken down, measured and lines drawn for the windows.



It was way too late to run any power tools, so all the stuff will be cut tomorrow.

3 Hours