Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 151 - Closing in

Today was in many respects a duplicate of yesterday, but as promised, first on the list was getting the forward arch box beam in place.

After epoxy, screws, peanut butter and fiberglass the arch was installed. The screws on the outside will stay in place for a couple days to give the epoxy time to set up.



That hole on the bottom of the beam will be used for passing cables and wires from side-to-side and from the roof of the cabin.

Following this I continued putting in fillets and fiberglass on all the joints that hadn't been done yesterday (including my DDD joint!).

Next up was dealing with the cuddy roof. I have to admit I was a little scared to even start this part. As I had laid in the strips of 1/4" plywood to form the edges I had made no effort to hold them to the existing angle of the sides so now I had to cut them down to match. These edges are actually above eye level for me so I'd either be working over my head or bending over on the cuddy roof and working below my knees trying to hit that angle.

I opted for working from the floor and with the planer doing the heavy work and then the sanders to even things out I managed to get it done with minimal damage. I've got one area on the port side where I dug in a little deep with the planer, but I can fix that with some peanut butter. Otherwise I'm very pleased with it.

I got up on the cuddy roof and worked on sanding the peanut butter filler from yesterday smooth. That went well, but I did discover one low spot that will need to be filled in.

Finally I could begin working on the roof structure. I took my three laminated beams from yesterday and ran one edge of each through the table saw to square them up and smooth them out. I was planning to run them from the rear cabin wall to the forward arch so I cut them to length and then cut the other edge on two of them to five degrees to match the angle of the roof.

I had decided to take the third beam (that would be in the center of the roof) and cut it for hand holds. Renn has a pretty nifty way of doing it. After putting measurements on the beam, using the hole saw cut holes on the marks and then using the skilsaw connect those holes.



Take the router with a 1/4" roundover bit to all the edges, a little sanding and you've got a nifty grab rail!

I clamped some supports into place and set the three beams in place. Wow! How quickly that visually defined the roof space! What's really cool is I can stand directly under the middle beam and still have two inches of headroom!



I was going to take those two extra beams out after the roof was done, but I've changed my mind and decided I'll leave them in, so they too got their edges routered and sanded.

Tomorrow I'll get those three beams fiberglassed and installed and then there's a bunch of sanding to do from the work today. If I have time I'll make some peanut butter to fill all the little boo-boos too. :-)

9 Hours