Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 14 - The boat building begins...

Boat building has begun! Well, after a shopping trip and doing some other prep work.

A trip to Home Depot finished (I thought) the purchase of the last of the lumber. It's clear the world of lumber has changed since Renn wrote his book. The lack of variety and quality available made it hard to get even close to what he specs. Was able to purchase some of the fasteners there as well. The rest of the fasteners were purchased at Don Abel.

Once I got to the shed and hauled everything in I got so frustrated with my little piles of spare stuff laying around I decided to use 'em or lose 'em. I decided I needed some more shelving so I added an additional shelf under each corner brace. That used up most of the plywood scrap and 2x4 scrap and really added some nice storage space. I used the cut off ends of PVC and the left over joiners to make fiberglass roll up tubes. Then all the little pieces of wood and the empty boxes that have been piling up went down to the firepit on the beach for a nice little fire.

Next I sorted and labeled all the lumber. Then I pulled out my new favorite tool, a 90 degree laser line. It projects two laser lines at ninety degrees to each other on the floor, great for laying out long straight lines. I laid out where the boat will sit on the floor and an additional line to start doing my layouts with.

After all that I decided to actually make some boat sawdust and to deal with the largest piece of lumber, namely the inch and an eighth plywood. Man that thing was heavy! Ripped the tongue and groove edges off and then ripped it in four pieces lengthwise. Used the laser line here too as my longest straightedge is 6'. I screwed two pieces end-to-end on the layout line and then started to try to figure out how to get Renns' offset tables to work with what I had. It took three tries but I finally figured it out. Got the first piece laid out, unscrewed it from the floor, cut the angles, screwed it back down, lined up the second piece, screwed it down and finished the offset table numbers.

Then I pulled out my alternative to Renns' battens. He uses wood battens, but I would have spent a fortune in wood for something I would only use a couple times so I used something else; a ten foot section of half inch PVC pipe!


It's flexible enough to accept a pretty good bend, but stiff enough to hold it's shape. I drove 6d nails on the marks and additional nails where necessary to hold the batten tight. Worked a dream!

I spent some time contemplating the 2x8 I bought for the rest of the shelves and have decided not to go that way. Even though I looked through a ton of lumber to find good pieces I've decided to buy another sheet of inch and an eighth plywood and use that instead.

Did some cleanup and called it a day.

10 Hours