Friday, September 30, 2011

Day 23 - You inspire me!

Three weeks! Ha!

Sorry, but I think that's the best tv commercial punch line I've maybe ever heard.

How does that fit with my boat building? Well, my two best friends (women BTW) decided they had all kinds of ideas about what they wanted in the boat. My sweat, my blood, my time, my boat, says I. Ideas are welcome, demands require sweat equity. :-) One of those friends came over to help tonight. Very much appreciated!

We pulled the screws, washers and poly up and I scrapped while she cleaned up behind me. Then we scarfed the last two side panels; long pieces to short pieces. I mixed epoxy and poured, she spread, flipped the panel over, I lined up the scarf and she screwed it down.

That didn't take too long so we started work on the transom. We pulled out the piece of laminated 3/4" plywood and laid it over the upper end of the transom and traced an outline. Then we cut out the pieces. These pieces are called doublers, probably because they "double" the strength of the wood you attached them to. She had to go, but I was inspired by the work accomplished so far tonight so I kept on working.

My shelves (the horizontal flat pieces that run between the hull and the cabin sides and extend back to the transom) will actually wrap around the corner of the sides and extend along the back across the transom so I had to cut a section out of the doublers for the shelves and an additional corner brace (essentially a doubler under the shelf as it wraps around the corner). My corner brace will be cut out of 1-1/8" plywood so I was cutting out a 2-1/4" gap. I ended up with two large transom doubler pieces (left and right) and two small transom doubler pieces.

I cleaned up the floor and screwed down the transom. Mixed up a large batch of resin, nine ounces, and spread it across one large doubler piece and the corresponding section of transom. While that cooked, I mixed more resin and did the other side. Left over resin was mixed with sawdust to make peanut butter (what I'm going to call it from now on), spread on the doublers, and then the doublers were screwed through the transom and to the floor.

Next I used two pieces of poly and two long left over pieces of 1-1/8" ply to provide spacing between the large doubler and the small doubler "cap" piece and screwed the small doubler pieces down. Here's a couple pictures.


In this photo you can see the large lower section of the doublers screwed down with the scrap 1-1/8" ply spanning the transom.


In this photo you can see the small "cap" doubler. Note too, that while you can't tell from the photos, that gap was cut at a 15 degree angle to match the transom.

4.5 Hours