Monday, September 26, 2011

Day 20 - All ends well

A good news day. Stopped by Valley Lumber this morning and talked to Walt and they've stepped up. They're ordering me replacement Versalams and providing credit for the bad sheet of 1/4" plywood. I'll be dropping the Versalams off tomorrow.

Tonight I got the Versalams down off the sawhorses and grabbed the last sheet of 1/2" plywood for the transom, put it up on the sawhorses and started measuring and drawing lines. Measure three times and cut once, there's a lot of angles (in three dimensions) and figuring to do. Plus I'm doing the 15 degree mod on the transom instead of 12 degrees in the book.

Looks like a real boat part!


I'm also going to do things a little different than Renn calls for on the splashwell. I'm only going to make mine as wide as the cutout (lined up with the outside of the stringers). To compensate I'm going to use the full width of the Versalam, 9.5 inches, and will run the half inch doubler on the bottom all the way up to the bottom of the Versalam instead of leaving the gap to slide the floor into, plus since you're supposed to add to the height of the stringers the floor wouldn't line up anyway. I'll be running my shelves from the sides around the back to join up with the splashwell. I'm really on hold with finishing the transom until the Versalams arrive.

So tomorrow after some serious clean up I'm going to do some epoxy glue-ups. I need to laminate some of the 3/8" cutoffs to make 3/4" pieces for the upper doublers and while I'm at it and until I run out of floor space I'll start gluing up the scarfed pieces of plywood.

3.5 Hours