Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 21 - First resin day

Well, I'm off and running with my first day of resin work. I've done fiberglass work before with polyester resin and divinycell so this is nothing new. I bought a bunch of measuring cups, some cheap brushes and a couple plastic spreaders. After cutting one of the 3/8" plywood pieces I set aside yesterday in half lengthwise I set up a basic resin workstation.


My basic process is to pour resin and hardener from the five gallon jugs to large containers, not for measuring, but to make it easier to handle. I then pour an appropriate amount into smaller measuring containers. Finally, I pour these into a larger cup for mixing and pouring. This process allows me to keep everything separate and easy to handle until I'm ready to go. Less mess, less stress.

The first thing to get laid up was the double layers of 3/8" plywood after a cleanup and real good sweeping of the floor. I wasn't real sure how much resin I would need, so I mixed up a small batch of six ounces. Not nearly enough to coat sixteen square feet, but it gave me an idea of how the coverage would go. Another fifteen ounces was enough to do the job and the dry plywood really soaked up the resin! Put the layers together and put in a bunch of screws on top of a piece of poly.


Last I laid down two 1/2" sheets, mixed up three ounces of resin and wetted out the scarfs real well using a chip brush. Saved a little resin and mixed in some sawdust until it was just stiff enough to stay on the mixing stick while waiting for the resin on the scarfs to settle in then spread the sawdust mix and put the plywood sections together, lining them up using a plywood section line on the floor for alignment. Screwed one piece of plywood down, lined up the plywood and pushed the scarfs together, then screwed the second plywood section down. Then put five screws with washers through the scarf.


Got some squeeze out which was good! And lacking space decided to quit for the night. After cleaning up I started to turn out the lights, took one last look at the scarf and saw that the resin squeeze out was starting to wick under the washers! That's not good so I cut another piece of poly, took the screws and washers up (with some resin underneath) and put the poly, screws and washers back down and called it a night.


I've been thinking about the shelves and I may redo them. They're a two step process during construction: the initial set I've already cut are used for shaping the sides when the sides are installed, and a second layer as a cap. Some folks have had problems with the shelves flexing too much and various unique ways of dealing with it have been tried. Renn calls for that top cap to be nine inches wide, I may narrow that. I'm willing to trade walking space for interior space.

I've been working on a new set of offsets for six inch wide shelves instead of the four inches called for, plus since I'm essentially creating pockets in the back corners of the boat I'll need to carry those shelves around the corners and across the back. That raises implications for the corners braces as well, hmmm... The old domino effect in play. :-)

3 Hours