Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 16 - Cleaning and cutting and...

After the sawdust cloud I worked in last night I decided to do try something about it. Another! trip to Home Depot netted me a new shop vac, and fine particle filter and a little round outdoor thermometer so I can keep track of the temperature during fiberglass work.

Wind was blowing tonight and listening to the tarps snap and pop was a little disconcerting. Put the ear plugs in and no more problem. :-)

Used the shop vac to clean up some of the dust from last night then started to make some more. Pulled out the 2x8 for the rear frame members, split it down the middle and measured out four pieces 36" long. Only one ended up with a small knot with some creative cutting. Left the shop vac running with the intake nozzle pointed toward the saw while cutting and it really cuts down on the dust. Doesn't eliminate it completely, but it definitely helps.

Next I put each of the 16' long 2x8 boards for the jig on the sawhorses, grabbed the laser and straight edge and cut the crowns off so I have straight edges to work with. Contemplated doing some more cutting, but decided to quit a little early so swept and vacuumed up.

I've decided that I need to do as much wood cutting as possible before I do any fiberglass work. I'm creating so much dust that I only want to do a single deep clean before fiberglassing.

Oh, the dehumidifier is working a treat! I've set it for its' lowest humidity setting, 35%. Sunday it filled its' 30 pint bucket in about six hours. Monday night it was full again. Tonight there was very little in the bucket which makes me very happy. Our humidity here is generally 80-90 percent so keeping that level down will help draw more resin into the wood, provide better adhesion and reduce the amine blush problem.

2.5 Hours