Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 22 - And we're out...

of floor space. :-)


That's three sections, one 1/2" and the two long 3/8" side panels. On the left you can see the two scraps of 1-1/8" I screwed down to provide my starting straight-edge.

Earlier I took the screws out of the laminated 3/8" sheets and scraped the oozed resin, which was still a little soft and a tiny bit tacky. Then I pulled the screws and washers from the first scarfed 1/2" panel and scraped it down. Had squeeze out on both sides which is good and proves my processes are working correctly.

I've added one more container (after buying a few more tonight) to the resin process. The one I used yesterday for adding sawdust to the resin will continue that job until it gets a thick enough coating inside to peel the old resin out. I've added a new one that will be used for resin only. Sawdust is added to the resin to act as a streghthener and gap-filler in the scarf. It also makes the resin thixotropic, which means it flows when you push it around but stiffens when you leave it alone, thus it stays where you put it even though it's a liquid.

Tomorrow I'll glue the two short 3/8" panels and scrape tonights work and then Friday I'll cut the two 1/2" panels to length and glue on the 1/4" panels. That will give the 1/2" panels at least 48 hours to cure and strengthen.

Last, mom came to visit tonight and made a request. Could I translate please? I'll try to include short explanations or links to web pages for non-obvious terms like scarf. She also gave me some homemade spaghetti to take home for dinner. Aren't moms great? :-)

2.5 Hours