Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 206 - Workin' the starboard

Today was a tremendous day which was good because I didn't do anything last night. I was feeling horrible when I got to the shed last night so tried a 20 minute nap. That didn't help so I tried another. That didn't work either, so I gave up and went home.

Didn't feel so good this morning either, but the boat won't build itself, so time to quit slacking.

I started with something simple this morning, sanding. I got the entire outside of the rear cabin wall done which means the rear deck is sanded and ready for painting! I've a wee bit of peanut butter work to do and then I can get a coat of primer on.

After sanding I started work inside the cabin. First up was cutting a pretty chopped up piece of 1/2" plywood to length and width to go on the port side between to lower deck and the upper deck and then I set it aside.

Next I started on the starboard side. This side will be broken into two main sections, the captains' area and the galley. Just like the port side there's a gas tank on this side so that has to be accounted for.

I cut a large vertical piece of 1/2" ply that separates the sections, scribed it to fit the hull and side and cut it to fit.

The piece of 1/2" ply that will be the face of the galley section and the forward seat was cut next. Now this piece goes all the way to the lower deck, but it has an interesting complication. You might remember that the lower deck actually spans the gap between the stringers at their bottom edge and thus the 24oz. biax fiberglass is exposed. Thus there's not a flat surface to mounted the plywood face to. So when I mount it for good, I'll have to mix up a good sized batch of peanut butter to fill that uneveness and use some long screws to pull it in as tight as it will go.

1/2" strips were cut and attached to the vertical piece, plywood face, rear cabin wall and hull at two levels. One for the piece of plywood just above the fuel tank and the second to support the galley counter.

The counter was next and I was scrambling to find a piece of plywood large enough to work without having to go buy more. In the back of my pile of pieces I found a piece of 3/4" decking plywood left over from building the shed that was perfect! I cut it to length and scribed it to fit and that was done.

The piece of plywood to go above the fuel tank was another scramble (by the time I'm done all that will be left will be little pieces!), but I found a piece of 1/2" that was left over from the three sheets I bought at Home Depot that were so bad. This piece was small enough that the warp didn't matter.

The captains' area was pretty easy. I had set aside piece of 1/2" plywood when I was sorting things out, so I traced another vertical piece off of the existing one, cut it and put it in place. The seat was easy too, cut it to size and that was done. I glued support strips underneath, just like the other seats, and a strip on the original vertical piece to support the back of the seat.

The final piece was a small vertical piece to go between the plywood above the tank and the counter. Again I just traced the original vertical.

With that I was done for the night. Here's the pictures. I got so much done and the space is filling up so it's tough to get far enough away to get everything in the frame!


From the rear door, that's the galley area.


And the captains seat looking aft. I think that will be a good place for life vests.


Storage in the galley area, maybe. I'm still debating a sink and stove in this area.


Looking in the fuel area at the rear of the galley. Obviously the stove can't go back here!


The top of the galley counter. It's huge! 44" x 27"!


The captains' seat. This may get some work as it's pretty shallow, but until I get the steering wheel mounted I won't know how much knee space I'll have. The seat is low enough so that with a 2" cushion I've got about 3-4" of headroom.

Tomorrow I'll cut the doors in the face of the plywood, then peanut butter it all together. Painting will recommence as well; I've got the area up around the radar mount to work on, the roof trim, the rear deck and the spray rail.

I've ordered more stuff too, mostly electrical fixtures, so I need to get planning on the electrical layout and I'll need to make a shopping trip tomorrow for the last of the fuel stuff.

10 Hours