Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 207 - Fillets and paint

Taking it apart and putting it back together, that's what today was about.

After a run to Western Auto to pick up the last of the parts to assemble the fuel system I headed to the shed. Only to discover I didn't have all the right parts. Durn it! But that happens with two different fitting sizes and two different hose sizes. Oh, well. Sorted everything out, boxed up the stuff to return and then went to work in the cabin.

Decided that since the weather had improved to cloudy with occasional sunshine that it was a good time to have a small bonfire and get rid of all the scraps I've made recently. Then it was back to work.

Took all the cabinet work apart on the starboard side and hauled the cabinet face piece out. Carefully laid out and cut out the three access doors; one for the fuel area, one for under the counter and one for access to the fuel tank. Then I hauled it back in and started reassembly.

The support strips on the hull, side and rear wall were epoxied into place. Then the edges of the main vertical were epoxied and it was set into place. The lower edge of the cabinet face piece was epoxied and then slathered with peanut butter and set into place. Many screws were used to suck it up as tight as it would go against the stringer. The counter top was set in place to help align everything and then fillets were done all around. The front vertical was epoxied and then it too was filleted into place with the seat used to square it up.


The main vertical filleted to the front cabinet piece.


And to the hull...


There's the cabinet piece filleted to the rear wall.


And the fillets looking down into the foot area of the captains area.

Since I was epoxying away anyways, I put in the piece to fix the DDD in the rear deck area.


That's 10oz cloth, which is more than plenty and because I didn't do this yesterday when I should have, the edges didn't get sanded down before it got painted tonight. It looks awful, but it'll be unseen under the transom well. Not happy about it, but not gonna let it stop progress for today either.

The excess epoxy from the fiberglass work was turned into peanut butter and the joints between the battery bays and the plywood pieces that form the sides of the transom well were filleted.

After dinner it was clean up time in the rear deck with the vacuum, brush and tack cloth, the roof edge was wiped off and the spray rails were scrubbed smooth with a towel. Using a towel is the best way to smooth the spackle without tearing it out I've found.

And then painting began. The roof edge got a coat of maroon. The rear deck got a coat of primer.



And the spray rail got a coat of almond. I started painting it free-hand and got about three feet before I realized what a stupid idea that was so I taped it off. The top and side are easy to do, the underside, not so much. While sideways to the hull and on my knees, I have to lean back and twist my head to look up under the spray rail while painting it. Not really all that uncomfortable, but I'm glad there's only about forty feet of that rail to do!


And here's a shot in all its' sawdust covered glory.


Won't be making any sawdust while the painting is going on this week, but I am going to start on the side windows and continue installing and painting stuff in the cabin. I'm going to have to get some of that heavy duty paper so I can walk across the rear deck without scuffing the soft paint. It dries quick, but it takes time to harden.

8.5 Hours