Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 224 - More glass going in

More progress was made with the glass and the painting tonight.

First up was dealing with the glass work from last night. The silicone on the side of the glass facing up had hardened nicely and a few minutes work with a razor blade trimmed it down smooth with the wood. After flipping the door over and trying to trim the silicone on that side I discovered that it hadn't fully hardened yet. Since it hardens in the presence of humidity, the only reason I can come up with is that because the door is laying on plastic it must have created a partial air seal and only the moisture trapped under the door was available. Anyways, I made sure when I left tonight to leave the door hanging slightly over the edge exposing the bottom to fresh air.

I continued with the door work tonight by gluing down the corners of the frame. On the insides edges overlapping the glass I put a bead of silicone and on the outside edges overlapping the wood I put a bead of 4200. The corner pieces were then firmly pushed down and lined up. Tomorrow I'll install the strips between the corners after cleaning up the new squeeze out from tonight as well as the squeeze out from last night.




The front windows were next. The three pieces were taken into the cabin and unwrapped. The center one fit fine, except the frame is slightly warped, but you'll see how I fixed that below. The port side one dropped right in. The starboard side window however... I messed around with it and messed around with it, but couldn't get it to quite fit. I finally figured out that it was cut so close that it had to be almost perfectly evenly lined up and then pressed into place. It's a tight fit. I popped all three windows out and put a bead of silicone in place for the center one. After setting the glass in place two wooden blocks with tape on them were used with clamps to help press the glass tightly into place.


Then it was back to painting. More loose pieces were painted white as well as another coat on the floor of the cabin.

2.5 Hours