Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 217 - tack and sand

More painting <le sigh>. However, the good news is that I've today and the next two days off so I can put down two coats of paint in one day. Thus the loose pieces got a final coat on one side and a first coat on the other side. Yay!

Between coats I did get more work done.

The two pieces of 3/4" plywood that were cut to go in the rear battery bays were drilled and the parts mounted to fit, then the parts were unmounted and the plywood was put in place with 5200.

Then pull string was run through all the conduits after sorting through the wiring stuff. I decided to pull in the 6AWG wire that runs from the battery bays to the forward wiring location in the forward cabin wall. If you remember, I put in two conduits from the front to the back, one 2" and the other 1-1/2". The wire got pulled into the smaller conduit. The bigger conduit will be used for control wiring and the hydraulic hoses for the steering.

After dinner the big project of the day was started, putting in the non-skid. Earlier in the day I had opened one of the sand bags and put some of the sand in a paint tray in front of the fan to dry. Now it was time to put it to use. Starting on the rear deck a thick coat of paint was put down and then sand was tossed into the paint.


Now the irony to this was that as I was painting my way out of the deck area I was wiping the deck with a tack rag. Why? I don't know, habit I guess. :-)

The gunwales and the forward deck were next. Started on the port side and worked up, around, and back.


Had a little time after this, so that second coat of white paint went on the loose pieces, then I called it a night.

Tomorrow the loose sand will be vacuumed and the big rocks picked out, the last coat of steel-blue paint will go down and the tape pulled. It will be interesting to see how it turns out!

8 Hours