Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 222 - Painting my way out

Pretty good day today.

Started by pulling all the screws and washers from yesterday. Grabbed the sander and worked on smoothing all the epoxy goobers and screw hole bumps. Spackle was next and filled all the holes and cracks I could find. Then started putting down more primer. I had just about finished in the cuddy when Brian showed up, so change of course!

I've been waiting for a second person to work on the side windows. I knew the process would take another set of hands, and I was right, and it worked out really well. After explaining to Brian my thoughts on the process and adding in his feedback we got to work. Brian sanded the back of the plastic strips while I got other things organized.

The process is pretty simple in theory, a little more complex in practice.

Basically, I worked my way around the outside edge of each window marking the transition from a straight edge to a curved edge. I then measured the distance from my starting point to the first curve and marked that distance on a window strip. I had previously figured out that cutting slots 1/4" apart was about ideal and I knew how many I needed to go around a corner, so those were marked next. Then I measured the next straight length, marked it, and marked the slots for the next corner. Cutting everything was next. After setting the table saw up to cut the slots, they were all cut and the window frame was cut to length. We learned the hard way to only work with two corners at a time, there's too much uncertainty in working a third.

A bead of 3M 4200 was run down the back of the window frame, then we very carefully lined up the first straight length of the window frame and taped it down, set in the second straight edge working our way around the corner and taped it down, and then the third straight edge, also taping it down.

Going back to the first straight edge, after making sure the corners were lined up right, Brian very carefully drilled a hole through the window frame and then drove a small nail (just larger than the hole) just far enough to tack the frame down. Nails were put in on either side of each corner, and one at the end of the last straight edge.

A second piece of the frame was cut like the first to finish the window.

Brian and I managed to get the two windows on the port side done before he had to leave. Thanks Brian!


I then shanghaied my brother who is here on vacation with his family for the week to come help me do the starboard side. Thanks Ross!


Now you'll note that in the upper picture that it looks like the window frame is sticking out. And you'd be right. In reality, there's a long straight edge piece of frame on the bottom of all four windows that's floating free right now. The Lexan I'm using is way too thick, almost 1/4", to flex far enough to just pop it into the window track, so I'll cut the windows to shape, slide them in, then glue down that last strip. It'll be messy and a pain, but the only way to do it.

Obviously the nails still have to be pulled and the gaps between the frame and the wood edge filled, but that will wait a couple days for the 4200 to cure completely.

After Ross left I went back to the first window and carefully removed the squeeze out around the frame with a metal putty knife and mineral spirits. With a little elbow grease all four windows were done inside and out.

Then it was back to primer. All the loose pieces for door windows, the hatch doors for the port side, the fixture over the center fuel tank, the sliders for the door and the back side of the door itself were done. I went back inside the cabin and painted the side panels, the filled area on the port side deck, the support panel under that area and finally painted the aisle floor painting my way out.




And that pretty much did it for today.

Tomorrow I'll work on getting the glass windows installed in the door. I may not get much done other than that as I can see that might be quite a project.

Brian - 1.5 Hours
Ross - 1 Hour
Me - 8 Hours