Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 211 - One long night

Woof.

I'm tired. Long night, but got a fair amount done.

Tonights big accomplishment was installing the starboard side tank. The area where the tank goes got it's final coat of white paint, then the rubber mat was put down and the tank dropped into position. The mounting straps were next, with the buckles installed on the front side and the straps on the back side.


As you can see, these straps are plenty strong!


And just for posterity, here's the label on the tank. Wish I would have gotten the one on the belly tank, oh well.


Once that was done I went to install the piece of plywood on top of the tank so I made a batch of epoxy and painted the edges. And discovered that I hadn't cut the corners off to match the fillets in the corner of the cabinets. So out I went to get them with the jigsaw. Then I discovered that the way the cabinet squared up that the plywood was about 1/4" away from the fill tube on the tank. That clearly wasn't going to work, so back out again to make a cut out to fit around the fill tube. Then I discovered I had forgotten to cut out an access hole for the fuel level sender, so back out to cut that out. And, of course, because I had forgotten the hole, that means the divider between the fuel area and storage are is in the wrong place which means the doors are in the wrong place.

Sigh. I'm going to leave it for now and figure it out later.

Ding. Dang, Durn it.

Made a good size batch of peanut butter and filleted around the edges, then primered the top. The extra peanut butter was put on the outside joint between the outside of the cabinet and the rear wall.


The cabinetry on the starboard side got more white paint.


And the cabinetry on the port side got more white paint.


And the rear deck got its fourth coat of white paint after filling more pinholes.



Sure is getting white in here! The rear deck will get one more coat of white paint and then the deck will start getting it's coats of non-skid. I'll be laying down a coat of steel blue (blue and gray mixed together), sprinkling sand (or some variation thereof) in the wet paint and then putting another coat on top. At the same time I'll be putting that on the shelves and the forward deck.

Also tonight I primered or painted some of the loose pieces, there sure seems to be a lot of them!

No paint on the spray rail, I decided it was time to go home at 10pm. The almond colored paint is a little thicker and is doing a much better job of hiding the brown primer, so I think four coats will be sufficient. I'll take a hard look before pulling the tape, but I'm sure there will be no more than five coats here.

4 Hours