Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 209 - Bend baby, bend!

So today was more of the same, plus an experiment thrown in. Painting was first and only two colors today. I put a lot of white down, primarily on the areas that got primered yesterday and the spray rail got another coat of almond. No real changes, so no pictures.

The experiment has been sitting waiting to be tried for a while. Windows on a boat are an interesting challenge. You can buy pre-built ones and spend well above $2K (gulp!), or you can construct your own. I'm obviously doing the later and as you've seen, I already have one system for the front and back windows and the door. Cut a rabbet in the edge of the panel, bed the glass in the rabbet with silicone and epoxy a backer on it.

The other system is one I've come up with myself. A couple month ago I did a bunch of research and found a company that sells dual channel window channel made of plastic. I bought some sight unseen and it's been sitting, still wrapped in its' shipping material ever since. Tonight I unwrapped it and pulled a piece out and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was more flexible than I'd hoped. Not floppy, but it has some flex.

I cut a piece about a foot long and tried an old wood working trick for bending wood; cut consecutive notches with a saw blade, in my case the table saw. Sure enough, exactly what I'd hoped for happened. The notches allow the channel to bend!


This is awesome! It means I can take a long piece, notch it in the correct places and wrap it right around the corners in the windows! I'll bed it in 3M 4200 and pin it in place with brads.

Oh, how far can it be bent?

How about this.


Now how cool is that?

Just for fun I took one of the long pieces, did some careful measuring and cutting and sure enough, it'll work. I need to get some brads and finish painting the inside of the windows before I can install these, but I'm thrilled to know it'll work.

2.5 Hours